It seems there are more and more independent consultants around these days.
If you aren’t familiar with the term,
In most cases they work on a commission or percentage of the sale.
This is a great way to earn extra income while working from home or to supplement income to your main job or business. I was introduced to it at an early age as my parents sold Amway and cosmetic jewelry when I was young. That may have been one of the factors that turned my life down the entrepreneurial path.
Okay, so let me get to where I’m heading with this. Generally, when you register to be a consultant at one of this companies you receive access to a website branded or customized for you as a re-seller.
You do not receive your own website; instead, you receive a link on the website that magically makes the page yours and adds your consultant ID to any order that is placed from the visitor to your page.
This is really cool because you have a good resource tool to make sales and you don’t have to build the site yourself. The not so cool part is the URL or web address is not always pretty. Here are some fictitious examples of what I mean and I think you will get the idea.
As you can see, these links are quite cumbersome and long. Imagine you bump into a potential buyer while running errands and they want to buy something from you. You don’t have any literature on you so you spout off one of the URLS listed above.
What are the chances they’re going to remember that web address by the time they get to a computer or mobile device to place an order?
Did you know that for less than 10 dollars you can create a custom URL that redirects to your consultant page?
Here’s how to set up a custom domain. (I’ll add a video as well. Click Here To Watch)
- Go to http://JustAskDomains.com (this is my reseller and this link opens in a new window.)
- Search for the domain that works best for you and purchase it. (think about your product. for example MarySmithCandles.com or SkinCarebyJane.com)
- After buying the domain you will go to the manage section for that domain.
- Look for the section labeled “Forwarding” and click manage.
- In the field that says “forward to” you would enter your link as above (IE MarcyRay.com/JKJones)
- In the “Redirect” field select 301 (permanent) (if not already selected) that is the “Forward only” option. You DO NOT want the “Forward with masking” as that will hide the https on the order page and the person may not feel secure when ordering.
- Click the Save button.
- That’s it you’re done.
It may take a few minutes for the URL to be live but in a very short time when some visits Marysmithcandles.com it would automatically redirect to SmellyCandles/137MarySmith.
This is much more memorable for you and your customers and also makes you look more professional as a consultant. Not only that but you will most likely increase your sales due to the fact people will actually find your website.
I use this exact process for products and services I recommend. For example, if you wanted to take credit cards on a custom website I tell people to visit ThatOneMerchant.com or if someone is watching my training on how to build a membership site, I tell them to buy membership software, and I instruct them to go to WPMember.com. Both of those use my affiliate link so I get a commission for the sale.
Affiliate sales can add up, no matter what type of consultant you are, so use redirecting of URLs to your full advantage!