Have you ever thought about how a colorful logo or a catchy picture can make a big difference for your business? Just like how you pick a great outfit for a special day, your business also needs to wear its best outfit. That’s where graphics come in when it comes to elevating your branding in your business!
What are Graphics?
When talking about graphics, I mean the pictures, designs, and images that represent your business. For an author, it could be your book cover or even your image on the jacket cover. For a speaker, it may be your presentation slides, handouts, banners, and posters in the conference room. If you’re a content creator, there is even more to consider–from logos and package design to your social media presence and even promotional videos.
Think about your favorite snack or beverage. Can you picture its logo or packaging? That’s a graphic! Every inch of that package was given consideration on how it would be perceived by the consumer.
Why are Graphics So Important?
- First Impressions Matter—Just like meeting someone for the first time, your customers will notice your business by the way it “looks”. A great graphic can make them say, “Wow, I want to know more!” People say you can’t judge a book by
its cover, but we all do. If you think of certain brands like Coca-Cola for example, you instantly recognize their script font and their particular color of red. You automatically have a familiarity with that brand.
- They Tell a Story—Graphics can tell your business’s story without using For example, a picture of a happy family might tell your customers that your product is perfect for families. One thing many people miss is that graphics can cause the reader to read further down the page. For example, if you have a photo where the person is looking toward a headline or even your product, the visitor will follow where they are looking and continue reading through your sales process. This has been proven time and again.
- Stand Out in the Crowd—There are so many businesses out Great graphics make your business shine bright like a diamond among the rest! Notice I said “great” graphics. You need to be aware of the images you are using and also the quality of those images. Just as they can make you look good; the wrong graphic or low-resolution graphics can make you look equally bad.
Boosting Your Brand with Graphics
So, how can you use graphics to make your brand amazing? Here are some simple steps:
- Know Your Audience: Think about who you want to talk to. Kids? Parents? Men? Women? Once you know, you can create graphics they’ll love! This is true with copywriting as By knowing your audience, you can select better images for the projects you are working on.
- Keep It Simple: You don’t need super fancy pictures. Sometimes, less is more. Remember, you want people to understand your message This goes for copyrighting too. Think about when you use a bigger, less used word. People will pause and get distracted to try to figure out what that word means and, in some cases, just move on to something else. The same is also true with graphic use. If you have an image that doesn’t make sense, people will have a disconnect and try to figure out why that image is even there. I know many people utilize graphics in their blog posts because it is said to increase readership and well… Google likes it there. But it has to make sense to the topic in your post or article. You wouldn’t have a picture of a herd of cats if you’re talking about a specific dog. Right? Let’s hope not!
- Colors are Key: Colors can make people feel different ways. For example, blue can make someone feel calm, while red can make them Choose colors that match your business’s vibe! There is a long list of colors you should and could use, or maybe you shouldn’t use. Obviously if you are in a very masculine market, you wouldn’t utilize pink in your marketing. Just as you probably shouldn’t use blood red when you’re promoting a health product. If you’ve done any research, green or blue are used in those markets as they will invoke health or trust.
- Stay True to You: Always remember what makes your business Use graphics that show off your unique style. I see this frequently when I’m coaching a business or individual. They will ask the opinion of someone that has no idea about their market and use all of the wrong fonts, icons and graphics that just don’t make sense. People often forget that font usage is also a graphic element, especially when used in your logo and headlines. Make sure to use all elements available to you when making improvements in appearance for your business and stay consistent throughout.
- Ask for Help: Not all of us are artists, and that’s okay! If you’re not sure about making your own graphics, you can hire someone who’s good at There are many places you can get assistance such as Fiverr. Sometimes I’m either too close to the market or maybe just can’t envision what the customer is wanting. In cases like that I’ve used contest services like 99 Designs, Hatchwise, and others. With these services you set a prize amount and designers will post their ideas to win the prize you’ve posted. You can make suggestions along the way to get close to the look you are going for. This is perfect for logo creation.
Let’s See It in Action
Imagine two lemonade stands. One has a plain sign that just says “Lemonade”. The other has a bright, sunny picture of a lemon, with the words “Fresh & Sweet Lemonade” in big, fun letters. Which one would you want to visit?
Most people would pick the second one because the graphics invite them in! It’s like when your friend shares a cool drawing with you. You want to look closer and learn more. Another thing I will do is create a survey with different options and let people vote on their favorite option.
Take the Next Step
Now that you know the magic of graphics, it’s time to use them for your business! Remember these three simple tips:
- Consistency: Use the same colors, fonts, and This way, people will easily recognize your brand, just like how you recognize your best friend from far away.
- Quality Over Quantity: It’s better to have a few awesome graphics than many not-so-great Also, white space is a graphic element. Sometimes less is more and adding a little whitespace can go a long way with balance.
- Stay Updated: Every once in a while, see if your graphics still feel Just like hairstyles, sometimes your graphics might need a little updating too.
Graphics are like the magic wand for your business. They can turn something plain into something amazing! Sometimes it just takes a few tweaks to make something look new. There’s no better time than now to revisit what your brand looks like and how it appeals to others. Remember if graphics aren’t your thing, there are branding specialists and graphic artists ready to give you a hand.
And who knows? Maybe the next time someone thinks of an awesome business with cool graphics, they’ll think of yours!